A nice transition season salad
- Watercress – rinsed and dried
- Orange supremes – if you don’t want to bother with this knife technique, you can use mandarins, or peel the each wedge (I only used three, this was an individual salad). The orange will come apart in nice chunks that way.
- Minced shallot – a scant teaspoon per serving/person
- Pepitas – roasted and salted
- Balsamic vinegar – pick an aged one, or reduce some run-of-the-mill stuff. You need sweetness a little dominant to acid and an almost syrup consistency.
Proportions are up to you. I make salads that feature greens and everything else is a garnish. So I get a bit of each flavor or item in every bite but ultimately the bite is always about 85% greens. This is green, cool, salty, sweet, acid, tart, bitter, crunchy and a bit fatty from the pepitas. Textural, tasty and fast. Three of my favorite things.