Please? As a personal favor to me and your taste buds, who love you. Learn how to make this (or any other) incredibly easy, quasi-scratch sauce. Did I mention it’s easy? It will taste like tomatoes. It will be cheaper than your favorite jarred sauce. It will make you feel like a successful human.
The Fast Tomato Sauce You Actually Want to Eat
- Any olive oil with a flavor you enjoy
- 1 small can whole peeled tomatoes (I use Muir Glen)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil or 10 leaves fresh basil rinsed and ripped
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Put a burner on low. Film a medium size skillet or pot with olive oil.
- Crush the cloves of garlic under the flat of your knife blade. Discard the skins. Put the garlic and the basil in the oil. Let these heat together until you can smell the garlic.
- Pour the juice into the pan, crush the tomatoes roughly by hand into the pan. Stir in the nutmeg and balsamic vinegar. Simmer, stirring when you think of it (Barely bubbling so it does not pop all over the stove).
- Cook your pasta. The sauce is done when the pasta is.
OPTIONAL: Like everything I suggest, lots of variations are possible:
- sub shallots for garlic (caramelize them); use lots more garlic; sweat hot peppers w/ the garlic & basil
- use lots more balsamic if you like that flavor
- taste and adjust towards the end with salt, pepper, cheese or cream
- can be doubled (or tripled)
For the record, I am not anti-jar I am pro-tasty-deliciousness. Also, it took me longer to write this post than it did to make my sauce. Buon appetito!